Thursday, September 18, 2008

Braised Spare Ribs With Fermented Soya Bean Paste


It was a quick decision to cook for dinner and my freezer was out of meat and I still have some left over pork ribs. I got this recipe from a recipe book and modified slightly as I would prefer to have some sauce for the kids. That happens when I cook few dishes and all are usually dry dishes without sauces to go with the steamed white rice.
Other than that,I wanted to try some new pork ribs dishes for a change instead and it tasted like one of my MIL's pork ribs dishes. You may even cook with potatoes.

Ingredients:

400g spare ribs, cut into serving pieces
2 cups oil for deep frying
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic

Marinade:

1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp corn flour

Seasoning:

1 tbsp fermented soya bean paste
1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
Dash of sesame oil and pepper

500ml water

Method:
1. Mix spare ribs with marinade and marinate for 30 minutes. Deep fry in hot oil for a short while or till slightly brown. Dish and drain.
2. Leave 1 tbsp oil in wok and saute chopped garlic until aromatic. Add in seasoning and fry for 30 seconds. Add in spare ribs and water and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until spare ribs are tender or when the sauce thickens. Dish and serve.

0 comments: